There are some things that can be said about all Mark Twain quotes, regardless of which one it is you're referring to. One, they're witty. Yes, Mr. Twain was one witty character. Two, they bring a smile to your face. Whether you're smiling because you think it's funny or you're smiling because you completely relate (even if a bit embarassingly), Mark Twain quotes can crack a grin on the most stoic of faces.
Here are 16 Mark Twain quotes to get you smiling during Humor Month (April).
1. "Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
2. "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
3. "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
4. "A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
5. "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."
6. "But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
7. "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
8. "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
9. "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
10. "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
11. "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
12. "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first."
13. "A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read."
14. "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great."
15. "A man who carries a cat by the tail is getting experience that will always be helpful. He isn't likely to grow dim or doubtful. Chances are, he isn't likely to carry the cat that way again, either. But if he wants to, I say let him!"
16. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do… Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain was one of America's true treasures. Not often is it that we can find a man who can touch us so deeply with the written word. Inspiration, reflection, humility, confidence, wisdom, and (of course) laughter — Mark Twain quotes can give us all of this and more.
For more Mark Twain quotes, check out the popular Mark Twain quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.